On The Edge Of The Shore At The Lake | Life Love and Hiccups: On The Edge Of The Shore At The Lake
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Wednesday 13 April 2016

On The Edge Of The Shore At The Lake

Pin It

I had myself a bit of a 'moment' yesterday, not long after I arrived at the lake just before sunset to pick up Sammy who had spent the afternoon there fishing with a mate.

I'm not sure if it was brought on by the sight of him looking so cute in his bucket hat with his tackle box and bucket of bait by his side, or the beautiful background and the mirror like lake that spectacularly set a scene that reminded me of a book I read when I was a kid - Huckleberry Finn.


This is what I always pictured for my boys when they were small and squidgy and rugged up in their onesies.

I daydreamed about them one day doing the things that boys or even kids in general love to do - you know fishing and exploring and building forts in the park, and if I closed my eyes I was able to picture them in the future with scrappy knees, messy faces and muddy clothes - all signs of a happy life being milked for every bit of fun possible...

At least it was what I hoped for for them.

And so as I stood there behind him on the shore of the lake I had a moment... a perfectly excusable moment caused by an avalanche of emotion as the realisation that those dreams I once had for them have come to be,  collided with an overwhelming sense of gratitude for their good health and their freedom.

It was a moment of unbridled joy.

As my very own Huckleberry Finn packed up his rod to go home, he looked up and noticed my watery eyes and my embarrassingly goofy mum smile.

He quietly accepted my explanation of a bug in the eye... but I knew that he knew there was more to the watery eyes than just a rogue bug.

I hope with all my heart that one day when he is all grown up with kids of his own, he will understand why his mum sometimes watched him and his brothers with a goofy smile and watery eyes.

I hope that one day, he will be watching his own children do whatever it is that makes them happy and that he has the privilege of experiencing for himself - a moment - like the one I had yesterday on the edge of the shore at the lake.

Do you ever catch yourself getting teary when you are happy?
Tell me - what was the last thing that gave you happy tears? Go on, tell me and make me get all teary again!