DIY Painted Tea Towels - AKA Productive Procrastination | Life Love and Hiccups: DIY Painted Tea Towels - AKA Productive Procrastination
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Wednesday 5 March 2014

DIY Painted Tea Towels - AKA Productive Procrastination

Pin It


You know when your to do list is getting longer and longer and you yet you are about as motivated as a sloth to actually get anything done?

Yep that!

I had one of those days today. After a client meeting this morning I was supposed to be getting stuck into editing some pictures and yet when I arrived home I pigged out on a blueberry muffin and read blogs instead.

Productive? Ummm not so much.

Fun? Hell yes!

That being said I was motivated to do one thing and that was to bake my boys some banana bread for afternoon tea. But after opening the fridge and discovering I didn't have any butter and admitting that I couldn't be assed leaving the house to go and get some, I painted some tea towels instead.

As you do.

I brought these ragged looking dishcloths for a $1.99 each in a consignment store in Avalon and they have sat on my office desk for a few weeks goading me and saying "AS IF you are going to get around to doing anything with us, we'll just sit here for months gathering dust until you use us to clean up some dog pee or something".

Well can I tell you  that goading me is one of the most effective ways of getting me to do something, even if it is an imaginary goading from a pile of dishcloths.

Wanna have a go at these yourself? They are super easy.

Here's what you need.

Dishcloths, blank teas towels, scraps of linen or cotton - what ever.
Acrylic paint
Textile Medium (you can get it at any craft store)
Soft bristled brushes or painting sponges.


So of course I did bother to take some photos of these AND I even edited a couple for this blog post.... but do you think the rest of my photo editing has been done yet? Bahahaha Not!

Seriously though, have a go at these, they are as simple as the painted pillow cases I did last year, and you could totally get the kids to do them too... if you are brave enough to let your kids within 10 metres of brightly coloured paint that is.

Use them as gift wrapping, pressies or just have them sitting around your kitchen looking pretty. Whatever. If anything just use the excuse of making them to spend a glorious hour or two procrastinating.

By the way, for the record - I found a packet of Banana muffin mix in the back of the pantry so whilst the kids didn't get their delicious home made banana bread, they didn't exactly starve either.

What's your favourite way to procrastinate?